Osiguranik is an ecommerce platform that offers policies from insurance companies in Serbia. People can compare quotes and buy the policy that best meets their needs.
The client’s goal was to increase user engagement and sales by redesigning their website. They also wanted to effectively communicate the core value of their business: helping people find the right policy quickly. Their specific goals were to:
The client aimed to reach regular online shoppers, travellers, young, educated people. For me that meant focusing on clarity and efficiency in communication and creating a friendly, relatable tone of voice.
I worked in a UX team of three at Alpha Design Studio, a boutique design agency. The team lead (Milovan Jovicic) was responsible for product design and communication with stakeholders, while my senior colleague (Andrija Jonic) created initial design concepts that I built my solutions on. I was in charge of:
I came in the project after the team lead and the senior designer already proposed a few ideas to the client.
The client rejected minimalistic designs with simple grid systems. As I took over the ideation process, I focused on understanding the client’s vision and realized that they were aiming for a distinct, playful feel in order to appeal to a younger audience.
I first ran a heuristic analysis of the website to learn how information is organized. I also conducted a competitive analysis to understand the client’s unique offering and get a clear vision for design concepts.
In collaboration with the team lead, I introduced an FAQ section to provide support in times of doubt. We also expanded the About us page to build trust by telling users more about the team.
Based on the competitive analysis and client’s input, I decided to focus on three design qualities: friendliness, efficiency and transparency.
I first designed a few sample pages to convey my team's vision for the final experience. After the client’s approval, I went on to redesign the rest of the website.
I worked in phases lasting from a few days to 3 weeks. I created high-fidelity prototypes each step of the way to give the client insight into the final experience and encourage them to share useful feedback.
This project did not lend me an opportunity to conduct research or have access to analytics. With access to only a few of the client’s findings, I made sure to understand business goals and base design decisions around them. I relied on proven principles in ecommerce and visual design to encourage users to explore and take action.
Towards the end of the design work, the team lead and I worked with developers to implement the design into WordPress. We worked around CMS limitations, introducing custom fields for the new content, creating page templates for efficiency, and standardizing visual assets to fit the templates consistently.
Short on time?Jump to final design
One challenge was that policies disclosed different levels of detail. If we went with a content-first strategy, the layout of each offer would change and make it hard to compare. That's why I chose to always show a consistent layout with all categories of information, whether there was data in them or not. That way I wanted to ensure people are getting all the information they need to make a decision.
Check out slideshows with some of the final screens
My work brought about a complete makeover of Osiguranik and helped the company transition to the next stage of business. I helped introduce a friendly yet bold presence in the insurance industry.
At the time of writing, deployment was under way and the client was working on their marketing copy. Parts of the website, such as the checkout experience, were left to be designed in further iterations.
I expect to see a positive shift in the metrics we targeted. I focused on providing clear navigation, engaging content and a seamless journey to purchase, which is why I expect to see a decrease in bounce rate and an increase in conversion rate.
Without the chance to get to know users, my goal was to minimize the number of assumptions I needed to make. That's why I relied heavily on proven design and ecommerce principles. As a result, I gained a deeper understanding of the impact of design on business goals.
Having no insight into baseline analytics made it hard to measure the impact of design. If I did continue to work on the project, I would track the metrics after deployment, see how actual results compare with business targets and make changes along the way.
Working on a design system and collaborating with developers taught me the importance of considering all the different states of UI components and designing them to be simple and scalable.